Located in the 1914 L. Shirer’s building, this historic structure was beautifully restored to achieve certification from the U.S. Green Building Council through the criteria established by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®). This was the first LEED “Gold” certified building project for New Hanover County, and is one of the most environmentally conscious and energy efficient buildings in the city. Set against the rich fabric of historic brick, the interior is populated with customized contemporary furnishings of maple and steel. Bold splashes of red are used as accents throughout its three-storied space. Industrial style pendant lighting further reinforces the contemporary contrast to the original historic building. Beautiful hand stamped metal ceiling tiles line the ceiling in the main building lobby; reminiscent of a by-gone era.