SCAD Clarence Thomas Center
Originally the convent of the Franciscan Sister of Immaculate Conception, this 7,000 square foot facility has been transformed into classroom and workspace for SCAD’s historic preservation department. This circa 1908 Greek Revival building includes a conservation laboratory, a restoration workshop, an outdoor work pavilion, lecture and drafting classrooms, a computer lab, exhibition space and a lecture hall. The building is named for the Supreme Court Justice who studied at the adjacent school run by the sisterhood in the 1950’s. The department’s conservation laboratory, one of few such academic facilities in the United States, is equipped for testing architectural materials, analyzing restoration treatments and experimenting with conservation techniques.
Location: Savannah, GA
Previous Firm: Dawson Architecture
Awards: Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, Excellence in Rehabilitation
Historic Savannah Foundation, Historic Preservation Award